Skip to main content

Rocketman Olympic+ Triathlon

Since the last race I've put much more running training in my schedule along with some very hard efforts on the bike. Due to work I wasn't able to get down as early as I wanted to the day before the race to get my packet and check my bike in so I had to do everything the morning of which didn't allow me to get any warm up in other than the one mile hike from parking to transition. The wind was insane the morning of the race coming straight off the ocean which meant we were going to have a direct head wind the first half of the bike course. With how the course was set up you weren't able to see the swim course until it was your wave to start and the walked you down a set of steps into the water.

First couple steps into the water there were giant roots and the water was only waist deep. I was in the first wave of the Olympic+ distance but the fifth overall wave out. The course looked very short and I could see people standing at the turn buoy of half iron course (Yes! the water was that shallow over the whole distance). As the gun went off I jumped in towards the front only to find my arms hitting the ground because the water was so shallow. It got a little deeper after the first turn so I was able to swim a little more until we caught a bunch of the slower half iron people that were trying to walk/swim which turned into a very congested swim course. As I was getting out of the water one of the roots bit my foot which left two nice cuts on my feet. I ran up the stairs and made it through T1 without any problems.

As soon as I jumped on my bike all I could hear was the wind howling like crazy. I just tried to keep my head as low as possible and keep my power within check and not get to caught up with how fast or slow I was going. I was able to roll past a few people right out of the gate. I ran a group of three down around mile 8 and decided to hold there and save some for after the turnaround. The four of us quickly became only two, we averaged 19 to the turnaround,  I counted 4 in front of me at the turnaround. The second I made the turn I was at 29mph with no problem only pushing 180 watts. I averaged 26 back to T2 and held 5th, I also had the 5th fastest split for the day which was really exciting along with my highest 20 minute power average to date (242). I can't thank the OpenRoad Bicycles Fleming Island group enough for all the help over the past year. Rolling into T2, I had my feet out of my shoes about to dismount and my right shoes hit the ground just right and ejected into the ditch. I just left it and figured I'd get it after the race.

T2 took a few seconds longer than I wanted since I had a harder time finding the row I was racked on. Socks on, Shoes on and I was on my way. My goal was not to get caught up looking at my watch and my pace and to just run and finish strong. I didn't feel the greatest the first two miles but I slowly found my stride and felt much better after the 5K mark. I ran the whole time and didn't have to walk at all like the last Olympic Race. I felt much better and I was able to end the race season on a solid note and have a good base to work on over winter.

5/8 Mile Swim- 15:29
T1- 1:47
30 Mile Bike- 1:20:34
T2- 2:16
10K Run- 55:34

23/254 Overall
2nd in Age Group

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race #2- The Gang goes to the St. Augustine Lighthouse 5K

My brother-in-law and his wife said they were signing up for this race so it was a no-brainer to tag along and have some fun. I'm much more of a morning workout type of person so this race being held at 4:30pm felt a little strange. I personally didn't really change much of my schedule leading up to the race since it was suppose to be more fun than anything. So I started my day with my scheduled 4 hour ride, ate a ton of food and took a nap, then got ready to head down to the race. It took us forever to get through St. Augustine, so much we almost missed packet pick up and pretty much eliminated any chance of a longer pre-race warm up. We were able to get a quick half mile jog in before we had to line up. The gun went off and I ran the first half mile pretty hard until the front was thinned out some and I wasn't tripping over everyone. I probably burned up a few too matches many running that hard at the start, oh well. I actually didn't feel to horrible during the run...

And so it begins...

So after talking to a fellow triathlete over some Starbucks one evening I thought it'd be a good idea to start a blog to reflect on all the up's and down's, highlights and lowlights of everyday triathlon training and racing. Here goes nothing!

First triathlon of the year- St. Anthony's Sprint

First off, if you have never been to St. Anthony's, GO! It has to be one of the most fun short course races out there. It's in a nice area with other things to do outside the race venue and the race is very well organized and done very professionally. Unfortunately leading up to the race my dad passed away and I caught the flu shortly after so I missed about three weeks of training which mentally and physical sucked. I was going to bail on the race but decided I needed to get back in the swing of things and it would be a good baseline on where I needed to work on some things heading into the three race Jax series. The weather for the weekend was near perfect, and made for a real enjoyable weekend. I was able to bring my buddy Dana and brother-in-law Marty down as Sherpa's for the weekend, we got down Saturday afternoon and got my bike checked in and swam about half of the Olympic course. Race morning was very chill and since I was the 19th swim wave I didn't really ...